Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To eat or Not to eat... that is the question!

We know we have to eat.  For most of us that isn't the problem.  I personally LOVE to eat.  And I love to eat ALL kinds of food.  This was never a problem for me personally until I turned 40.  Then I vividly recall thinking my clothes were shrinking.  I am not joking, I seriously thought my clothes were shrinking!!  It took me a while to realize I was putting on weight.  To keep from boring you, I ended up after about 18 months of back fat and a lard-er than usual booty realizing I had to lose about 15 pounds.  I kept telling myself, "I can't lose weight, there is nothing I can change..."  Well, let me just say that is a load of crap.  I started attending a spinning class 4 days a week at 5:10am, and I cut out "bad" carbs and ate mainly protein and vegetables.  In about 6 weeks, I had lost that 15lbs of weight that I had convinced myself I couldn't lose.  If you have more than 15lbs you're concerned about, it's the same ~ well I know it may be more daunting, but don't get hung up on that.  You just need to keep moving & keep away from those empty calories ~ they are not your friend.
Recently, just before Thanksgiving, my friend came by selling cookie dough for a fundraiser for her daughter's school.  I wanted to be a good friend and support her daughter ~ and truth be told I LOVE COOKIE DOUGH!  Thus began my spiral of weight gain for the holidays (I can eat a tub of cookie dough in about 3 days, and I don't like to share).  It's only about 5lbs, but it is 5lbs that feels terrible in my jeans!!  Truth is, if you are a carb lover like I am (flour tortillas, french bread, cookie dough, brownies, chips, oh how great is a bowl of chips with cheese and Tapatio melted over it...?)  then you are just going to have to kick the habit.  And a habit I do believe it is.  They say it takes 21 days to make/break a habit.  So you just have to say no and realize in another couple of weeks you won't have this urge to get up and eat needlessly.  Have a healthy dinner and be done.  No more snacking.  If you find yourself going to the pantry ~ that is your habit walking you there.  Have a glass of water or green tea and really think about how satisfied you already are.  Think about that extra push you did in the gym, or that wonderful walk you took, or how lousy you already feel in those jeans!  It will pass.  Soon, you will be longing for the full satisfying feeling of eating some fresh fish, or a grilled chicken salad, or steamed veggies or some of those wonderful complex carbs like truly 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal... you get the picture.  As you continue to move your body and stay away from those empty calories/bad carbs, your body will crave and thank you for the good stuff that's out there and that you are choosing for yourself. 
Take care of you ~ you have one body, one life, make it a healthy happy one!

1 comment:

  1. Just what I needed to read today!
    I am loving this blog thing!!

    ReplyDelete