Thursday, January 27, 2011

Walk away to fitness!

Sometimes if you're an active person, you may tend to think walking is not enough of a challenge for your workout.  Well, I have a challenge for you!  I'd like to start by telling you I love to run.  I am not a fast runner, but I do like to go out and do 3 to 6 leisurely miles, and I am also planning on doing the Rock n River half marathon in May (13.1 miles), and my second full marathon in October (26.2 miles).  I swore I'd never do another full marathon, but it's been 10 years and I've forgotten how hard it was ~ sort of like child birth, doesn't seem as hard as it is until you're doing it!  I am also addicted to bleachers!  I love the burn and the cardio challenge of going up and down the bleachers... this topic will be in a blog dedicated to just doing bleachers sometime in the future probably when it warms up.  Back to the challenge ~ treadmill ~ incline level 10 ~ speed 3.6 ~ duration 30 minutes.  Sounds easy enough?  Sure that's what I thought too!  The original suggestion to me was actually to do 30 to 45 minutes at level 12 to 15 incline!!  I said to myself, "piece of cake."  Not so fast!  If you want to feel the burn of your calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes (butt), AND sweat like a pig, do this workout!!  I was definitely challenged.  My goal is to get up to level 12 for 30 minutes then longer (then to continue to up the incline).  First off let me say 3.6 may be too fast (or too slow) for you.  On a flat treadmill, I typically walk at 4.0 speed, but I do have longer legs than someone who is only 5.2.  So I would suggest taking your regular flat walking speed ~ your very brisk walking speed ~ and tone it down about 4 or 5 tenths.  As I mentioned, I went from my 4.0 speed down 4 tenths to a 3.6 speed.  So adjust according to your leg length and also your current fitness level.  It may be necessary to start at incline level 6 or 8 rather than 10 as well (but do try to stay at 6 or above for incline).  You DO WANT this workout to last for 30 minutes.  Don't cheat on the duration ~ the key is making your cardiovascular system stronger and to burn fat!!  I promise you, you will be challenged, and you will feel the burn in those beautiful toned legs of yours (envision your goal)!! 
A few tips that help me get through a challenging cardio workout are:  DO NOT WATCH YOUR TIME!  I take my sweatshirt or towel and cover the display.  If I can see that clock ticking, or I have glanced at the time on the wall before I start, I am toast mentally!  For some reason, I get this anxiety thing going on that I won't be able to go the entire time.  So avoid watching your clock/time.  I also have to use my ipod to keep my mind on something besides how hot I am, how my legs burn, how hard I am breathing, I can't go on... etc., etc.  Personally, I love listening to a book on my ipod (downloaded for free from the public library), or my favorite music play list.  When all else is failing, and I am struggling to continue, I think of a flat tummy, or smooth thighs. Remember during your walk to keep your tummy and core tight; this will help you achieve your flatter tummy and also support your lower back.
Okay, so you don't have access to a treadmill.  I still love to take outdoor walks, particularly with my doggies.  But I find I struggle keeping up a good pace.  I am naturally a brisk walker, but for some reason I do need to concentrate on pushing my speed to keep my heart really pumping.  How do you fix this?  Find the route with the most hills!!  Even if there is only one hill, do it several times.  Depending on the size of the hill and your fitness level, do it as many times as you can then set a goal to do it one more time.  When I lived in San Diego there was a decent (but not too long) hill near my house.  My girlfriend and I walked it five mornings a week, and we did that hill 4 or 5 times consecutively.  Whew, it was quite a workout, and it helped me train for my marathon on my non running days.  You will notice rather quickly, whether on the inclined treadmill or trekking up and down your neighborhood hill, your legs will soon be slimmed and toned.  Throw this routine in your workout plans a few times a week.  Remember to mix it up so your body is frequently surprised and not expecting the same old thing!
Happy walking!!
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment